Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Whee! I'm Part of a Club! And A Nice, Long Taste of Spy Games: Trained for Seduction

I'm so excited! The Chick Lits are hosting Spy Games: Trained for Seduction as their book club choice for October! This is a feisty group of ladies who like a good read and then discuss it. I love the on-line format and the questions they ask are compelling.

Christi is giving away two print copies of Spy Games: Trained for Seduction. The Chick Lits

I'll give away 2 e-copies to comment leavers here to match her if you're interested in reading Chase and Kate's story for the book club but you'd rather utilize your e-reading device of choice. If you'd rather have a print copy, go leave a comment at The Chick Lit's blog.

Christi Snow, reviewer and blogger of Smitten With Reading read the book in August and loved it. I hope the book club will enjoy it, too! Here's a copy of her thoughts: Christi Snow's Awesome Review

And here's a snippet for your enjoyment. This is the longer version of the six sentences posted for Sunday. Chase has never had a hard time being the boss, until he met Kate on an undercover assignment under the alias Alex Bishop. He has to come to grips with the fact that her first--and maybe last--mission will probably end in her death. How can he send a woman to hell and back when she loves him? And more importantly, how can he send her if he's the one with feelings...

Buy links: The Wilder Roses (erotic catalog for The Wild Rose Press)Amazon , BN

Excerpt from Spy Games: Trained for Seduction 


Kate looked away, unsure, and then her glare returned. “If you weren’t ordered to make love to me this weekend, would you have?”

She didn’t believe him, probably because she assumed he was as shallow as he was attractive. He swallowed again, not wanting to tell the truth. He had to, though. It was time for her to see the boss side of him. The man who would send her away to do God knows what with a madman.

“No. We would never have made love. Ever. I would have been your boss, and you would have been my spy. Period.” She stiffened and he hastily added, “Not for the reasons you think. This isn’t about you, not one iota. You are so damned attractive to me. The entire package. But this heavenly weekend of sex with you means our work life is going to be hell from here on out. I would have avoided that at all costs, but it was taken out of my hands. You don’t understand what kind of man I am, Kate. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

“You’re sorry for what?”

“I’m sorry for being the man you’ll learn to hate.” She opened her mouth, and he shook his head. “You will hate me. I’ll send you to hell and back, make you do horrible things, and though the safety of America is worth it to me, I’m not so sure it’s worth it to you. I hate my job for taking someone I saw as so pure and beautiful, and turning her into a fucking hot, killing machine.”

She crossed her arms over her chest, looking tough, mulish. “I don’t regret it one bit. I’m happier now than I ever was in my life, Chase. I’m trapped, sure, but at least there’s some say. At least I know the rules up front. With my father, there were no rules. I was smart in the lab, but he found fault with every other aspect of my life and was mentally abusive. He was crazy, delusional, and it would have been a matter of time before he turned on me. He tried to sell my virginity to you, so what else would he have done? I don’t regret Alex kissing me, taking me to third base. And I don’t regret Chase being my first. I don’t regret becoming a fucking hot, killing machine. I feel free.”

“You’re still going to hate me.” He felt as if he were drowning, and she was standing on shore with a life preserver and he couldn’t ask for it, not even to save his life.

“Maybe. But isn’t there the possibility that we might end up loving each other? We have something special. I feel it. I know you do. Our lives don’t have to be hell.”

Chase sighed, closed his eyes for a second, and kissed Lady Luck goodbye forever. “Don’t go there, Kate. Please.”

Kate squared her shoulders, and Chase held up a finger. He wanted to tell her the truth, that he already loved her, to let her love him in return. The part of him that was the boss knew what was in store for her. He would destroy her eventually. He couldn’t live with himself if she loved him.

He steeled his heart and said, “You cannot fall in love with me. Don’t. If you feel that coming on, then kill it hard and fast. And run. Love doesn’t work for spies. I did that, once. It ended miserably. And I’m telling you, you will hate me.”

She looked so sad, lost, and he hated twisting the knife when he’d already stabbed her with it. But it was the kindest thing he could do at this point. Better she go back to thinking he was the devil. The egotistical bastard she hated. She needed to move on, fast, so if she lived, she could have a somewhat normal life, with a man who wouldn’t have to crush her.

She swallowed. “Are you telling me this as my boss?”

“I’m telling you this as Chase. Me. Just don’t, Kate. Please, just hate me a little now, so it’s easier on you later, when I destroy you.”
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I appreciate hearing from you.