Monday, September 23, 2013

Hilarious Author Anecdotes from Katherine Grey #TWRP

Today we have some funny author moments from The Wild Rose Press author, Katherine Grey! Come enjoy two funny writer's anecdotes along with a peek at her latest historical release,  An Unexpected Gift! I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the cops walked in... Oh, read on and see. 

~Mia 

~*~

When I first sat down to write this post, I planned on talking about something to do with writing but then decided to share what it’s like to have a writer in your life.  Here are just two incidents that show how interesting knowing, or being related to, a writer can be. Well, if that writer is me anyway.

One evening while walking at a pretty fast pace on the treadmill at home, I was working out various scenarios of my work in progress in my head. Deciding I needed some medical information, I called my nephew who is my source for all things medical. If he doesn’t know the answer, he usually knows someone who does. I put the cell phone on speaker so I could continue my workout and set it in the water bottle holder.

He answered, and not realizing how out of breath I sounded, I asked my question, “Is it true if you sing Staying Alive by the Bee Gees while giving CPR, you’d be doing the right number of compressions?” 

“Yes, it’s true. The song has 103 beats per minute which is the perfect number to maintain proper rhythm when performing CPR,” he answered. 

“Thanks,” I said and hung up.

Seconds later my phone rang. It was my nephew. When I answered, he quickly asked, “This is just a hypothetical question, right? Grammy’s okay?”

I assured him everything was fine and the question was related to the book I was writing. He asked why I was out of breath and I explained I was on the treadmill while working on plot points. I also apologized for making him worry.  Weeks later, we laugh about it and I try to preface any questions by saying, “this is for my book.”
* * *
 A few months ago I met a friend for dinner at a local restaurant that has connecting booths. While the booths themselves are self-contained, there is a 2 foot tall panel framed on the table that can be removed so it becomes one long table. This allows large parties of 8 or more people to sit together in a booth instead of at tables pushed together. My friend and I were seated at one of these booths.

We don’t see each other often so caught up on our daily lives while waiting for our meals to arrive. Though she’s not a writer, she always asks me how my manuscripts are progressing and knew I was struggling with one of my characters.

Once the server brought our entrees and checked that we had everything we needed, my friend picked up her fork and asked, “How’s it going with Michael?”

I didn’t think twice about my answer. “I shot him. I didn’t mean to. It just happened. One minute he was standing there and the next, he was on the floor with a gunshot wound to the chest.”

A choking sound came from the other side of the 2 foot panel. I looked over and four college aged men were staring at me with various expressions of horror.

My friend jumped into the silence. “She’s a writer. She’s talking about a character in her book. She didn’t really shoot someone.”

The men all nodded in a manner that didn’t quite convey they believed a word of what she’d said. They quickly paid their check and left.

My friend and I laughed, and then practically hyperventilated when two police officers entered the restaurant not ten minutes later. They surveyed the room while waiting for the hostess. I had to fight the urge not to slink down in my seat.

“Do you think those guys called the cops?” my friend asked.

“I hope not,” I responded, trying to figure out how I would prove Michael didn’t really exist except in my mind.


A few minutes later, the hostess showed them to a table. I couldn’t help feeling slightly paranoid until we left the restaurant. While it’s funny now, it was sort of nerve wracking then. I did learn one thing from the experience -- always be careful how I say something about one of my characters when I’m out in public. 

~*~
An Unexpected Gift Blurb...

Known only as Lazarus to the band of cutthroats and thieves he leads, William Prescott will do anything to find his missing sister, even blackmail a fragile young woman into helping him. But he never plans to fall in love with this mysterious woman with a troubled past. 

Haunted by the memories of war, Olivia St. Germaine wants nothing more than to live a normal life. But when her brother, a doctor, suddenly leaves town without a word, she is forced to use her medical knowledge to help an injured man who puts her life in danger. Can she keep herself safe as she tends Lazarus, or is her heart more vulnerable than she realizes?



Buy Links:




~*~

You can contact Katherine at...




Follow on Twitter at @AuthorKayGrey




14 comments:

Allison Byers said...

Oh my, Katherine. I can visualize the expressions on the men's faces. That had to be priceless. In fact, wouldn't that be a great beginning for a book. Even Lazarus would have liked that story. And your poor nephew. I'm sure he was a bit concerned. Great stories, just like your writing. :-)

Juli D. Revezzo said...

*lol* How funny, Katharine! Good tip, though, whenever out, preface your writing stories! Best of luck with the book.:)

Anonymous said...

Katherine, I follow and so enjoy your "Thought for the Day'. This looks neat...and as I'm an historical lover, it's on my TBR list--taking it with me on my ereader when I have time to enjoy while OOT. Best, Diane

Katherine said...

Hi Allison,
Thanks for the compliment. :o) I don't think I've ever seen those same expressions of horror since. Part of me would have loved to be in the car with those guys after they left the restaurant just to know if they believed my friend or not.

Katherine said...

Hi Juli,
If I'm out and talking about a character or storyline, I definitely say "in my current manuscript" or "in the book I'm working on" or something to that effect. Thanks for the good wishes.

Liz Flaherty said...

Oh, that's funny! At least you didn't talk about poisoning someone while they were having their lunch--could have ruined it. :-)

Katherine said...

Hi Diane,
I'm so glad you enjoy my blog. The first romance novel I read was "A Heart So Wild" by Johanna Lindsey. It's a great western historical. I often say my love of historical romance is due to that book. Of course anything by Suzanne Enoch or Lisa Kleypas has to have a bit of credit too. I hope you enjoy Lazarus' and Olivia's story. It's very close to my heart.

Katherine said...

Hi Liz,
Oh my goodness. Can you imagine it? Those poor guys probably would've not touched another bite on their plates if I had said I poisoned someone without the person knowing I did it.

Ashantay said...

Love the two stories! And they are great reminders to check your surroundings before talking writing - grin -

Katherine said...

Hi Ashantay,
I can laugh about both of them now, but the episode at the restaurant was nerve wracking at the time. Thanks for stopping by. :o)

Author Angela Hayes said...

Hilarious post. Great job Katherine and Mia

Katherine said...

Hi Angela,
I'm glad you liked the post. Thanks for stopping by. :o)

Katherine said...

Hi Mia,
Thank you for hosting me today. I had a great time.

Mia Downing said...

You're welcome, Katherine! Please come back again.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I appreciate hearing from you.