Friday, January 17, 2014

Interview With Katherine Rhodes About Consensual #BDSM #eroticromance

Today we have erotic romance author Katherine Rhodes and her newest release from Beau Coup Publishing, Consensual: A Club Imperial Novel, Book 1. She's doing a contest through her Facebook page, which is linked below. This sounds like a really hot BDSM read, so don't miss out on the chance to enter! Details are below. 

Enjoy!

~Mia

~*~

Interview questions for Katherine Rhodes… .

Quick round:
Coffee, tea or…what’s your vice?
Tea. Earl Grey, Hot. Not even remotely kidding. Ever morning, with 2 lumps. Er, packets.

Favorite Movie:
I kinda hate this question, because my first instinct is to answer “Star Wars”-- but there's also “Ever After” and “Amadeus”... They're so different and so awesome in their own ways.

Favorite Color:
BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE. I love blue. To the point where my husband has to remind to NOT buy everything in blue. It's a family trait, though-- my aunt didn't even realize that she did her whole house in blue when she first moved in.

Favorite book/author:
This is going to be weird coming from an erotic romance writer: “Dune” by Frank Herbert. I guess I have to admit here that my first love is science fiction/fantasy. I'm a late bloomer in the erotic romance area.

How do you feel about bacon?
How should one feel about bacon? One should feel ecstatic and delighted at the prospect of such, and yet temper one's desire for such with the knowledge that –man that sh*t's high in fat and sodium. Enjoy with wisdom and temperance, thereby savoring those times in which one is allowed to indulge.




The REAL questions… 
I impressed my husband on our first date by tying a cherry stem with my tongue. He didn't know what to say, but I think it was love at first knot. He had no idea what he was in for. Neither did I, really.

I've been writing forever. I don't remember not writing, and as I mentioned, my first love is science fiction and fantasy. I'm hoping to get some paranormal erotic romance going soon. The ideas are there, the time is not...

Along with writing, I work as an adjunct professor teaching AutoCAD and digital art. I'm on my third career, and there's always that haunt of a 4th. We own close to 500 movies, 1500 books and both my husband and I have Bachelor's in English. We had to get ereaders so we didn't end up with 3000 books. I quilt and scrapbook and really REALLY hope we can go to Hawaii for our anniversary this year.

We have 3 cats and currently, I have a betta at work named Fishtian Grey-- the stupid thing like to wrap itself around the filter intake. I guess he likes the suck?

What’s under your bed?
Dust bison and tumblekitties.

What comes first, plot or characters?
Uh. Chicken. Egg. No idea. 

It alternates. Sometimes I'll have a brilliant plot and sometimes I'll have characters that I need to put in a world.

Pantser, plotter, or hybrid? Tell us about your writing process.
The first story in any world is always a pantser. As I go along, I take notes that create the plots for following stories. I don't always create a true series-- there are always other characters who come along who beg to have their stories told.

Once I have that first story done, then I tend to plot so that I don't mess up the stories, forget details or have to go back and add sub plots.
This Queen Elizabeth resides on
Katherine's desk!

Oddest thing on your desk?
I'm a bit of an Anglophile... 

What’s your most interesting writing quirk?
(I don't think I have one.)

What’s your favorite thing about the genre you write in?
Exploring the human condition. I suppose that's true of any genre, but since I was originally about the science and magic, this is more pure study of who we are and what really shapes us.

What is the hardest thing about being an author?
Putting what I've written into the hands of others-- the editors, the reader and the critics. These are my babies, that I've taken time to craft and mold and WHY DON'T YOU LIKE THAT PHRASE THERE?!

What’s the easiest thing about being an author?
Writing. I've been doing it so long it's second nature to me and I really really love revealing characters to the world they live in and to myself and my readers.

What do you wish someone had asked you for an interview question? Here’s your chance to get the soap box out!
I’m too new of an author to have soap box. Ask me about merits of cheap toilet paper and rotating your tires and I’m there!

Tell us about your latest release!
“Consensual” is the first book in the Club Imperial world, and I’ve been unbelievably lucky to work with Beau Coup Publishing on this series. Books 1 and 2 are the story of Emmy and Nathaniel who meet and are instantly attracted to each other. But Emmy's not exactly a conventional woman. She's a Domme at Club Imperial- a female dominant. Emmy likes to be in charge in the bedroom. Nathaniel is pure vanilla. It’s a problem, and they are going to have work on it together.

I wrote almost as a counterpoint to “50 Shades” and all the subsequent books I read that were filled with submissives-- all women. I started to wonder why women were always the subs; my husband even pointed out that in real life, it was just as likely that a man would be a sub. But the genre was filled with women.

Of course, being a woman who likes strong men AND strong women, I had to balance that. I couldn't make Nathaniel a wimp, and I couldn't make Emmy too bendable. The result is what I think is an amazing interplay between the two. With hot sex.

And soon- with more hot sex! “Broken Bonds” is in the editing stage and I hope to have a date for release soon! There’s more to come. The first 6 books for Club Imperial- including Club Imperial: Silver Soul- are written or plotted. and I’m hoping that very soon I’m going to be able to go back to my other love—paranormal romance. Hooray for witches, werewolves and vampires! 


Blurb for Consensual... 
From the moment Nathaniel laid eyes on Emmy Westerly, he wanted her in his life. He would do anything to get her there and keep her there. To his surprise, Nathaniel found himself quickly pulled into Emmy’s dark world of whips and blindfolds, kink and submission. He was intrigued not only by the thrill of it, but by the enigma which led Emmy there as well.

Emmy could not resist Nathaniel Walsh. She couldn’t deny the electricity between them, the utter animal magnetism she felt for him. Emmy was mystified by someone as honest and uncomplicated as Nathaniel allowing her to lead him into the dark. She adored having him at the tip of her lash.

But Emmy had secrets - deep, cruel truths which led her to Club Imperial, and staying with Nathaniel would mean telling him everything. He wasn't ready for that.

Neither was she.



Excerpt: “Consensual: A Club Imperial Novel, Book 1”
He followed Emmy down the hall to the kitchen, where he found her with her face pressed into the flowers, inhaling deeply. His blood pressure rose as he openly stared at her backside, shapely and firm in the gorgeous blue dress. It was all he could do to keep from walking up to her and cupping that incredible heart-shaped ass in his hands. She had put the two desserts on the breakfast bar, and her coat was tossed over the chair.
With a sigh, she stepped back from the flowers, but didn't turn around. “I never got flowers, ever, and now three times in the past three months.”
“I'll buy you flowers everyday if you want them,” Nathaniel said, walking up behind her and putting his hands on her arms, trailing up and down.
“They make me feel like...” Her voice drifted off. She turned and smiled at him. “Dessert?”
“Oh, yes,” he said. God, no. No. I want to strip you out of this dress, lay you on the couch and have you for dessert.
She walked around him, going to the fridge. “Wine?”
He turned and looked at her. “Actually, do you have a beer?”
She pursed her lips and sighed. “I do, but...”
“But what?”
“I don't have normal beer,” she said. “I don't drink macro-brewed piss water. It's Troeg's Flying Mouflan.”
His jaw dropped. “You know beers?” She nodded. “And you keep Troeg's in the house?”
“It's in rotation,” she said.
“Oh, dear God, marry me.” He laughed.
“I thought you liked wine?” Emmy asked.
“I like good wine just fine, but I'd rather have a beer when I'm not eating at exclusive restaurants,” he said. “I didn't peg you as the kind of woman who would enjoy beer.”
“A good beer can be just as complicated as a good wine,” she said, pulling out two bottles and putting them on the counter. “And you have to know how to pair the flavors and styles with the food. Troeg's is a great after-dinner beer.” She handed him the bottle opener and Nathaniel opened the two bottles as she turned to get the plates for the dessert.
He watched her lean up to grab the plates and her leg popped up off the ground. The shoes looked so incredible on her feet. She had lovely long legs and he found himself dreaming about licking them from her ankles to her pussy. He took a deep breath and stilled himself. Down. Down. Not yet.
She plated the fruit and chocolate desserts and joined him at the table.  Looking around, she laughed. “I almost never eat here. I prefer the den.”
He stood from the stool. “Then let's eat there, if that's where you're more comfortable.”
“So agreeable. I like that.” She smiled and hopped back down, leading the way from the kitchen to the den where there was a coffee table for them to put their plates on. Emmy took the over-stuffed chair and with a private note of disappointment, Nathaniel sat on the love seat. She picked up a remote and turned on the sound system. An achingly gorgeous aria wafted out of the speakers, and it took Nathaniel a moment to place it.
“Ach, ich fühl's?” he asked.
“Very good,” she said. “I sang this at one of my recitals. This and Gretchen am Spinnrade are two of my favorite pieces.” She ate a piece of the confection with an unnerving grace.
“You sing too?” he asked. She nodded with her mouthful. “Dear God, Emmy. The cello and a voice?”
“It's not a good voice,” she said. “It's merely adequate.”
“If you can sing Papagena, I don't think you're merely adequate.”
“Well, no one seemed to agree with you.”
Again he could hear the bitterness in her voice, the sound of someone who had been always left behind and ignored by those around her. She had run a business where she had only been an admin for three days. That was not a woman who was incapable, or merely adequate. He cut off a piece of the dessert and chewed it thoughtfully for a minute, letting the voice from the aria fill the room.
“Oh, damn!” Emmy exclaimed. He looked over and found the latest forkful had cascaded down the front of her dress, leaving a huge chocolate and raspberry stain. “Oh, damn.” She put the plate on the table, and stood. “I have to change, I'm sorry.”
“No, no,” he said. “Go get it off before the raspberry sets.”
She walked out of the room to the bathroom just on the other side of the den. “I'm sorry,” she called.
“It's fine, Emmy,” he said, sitting back and taking a sip of the beer.
“I was...going to ask you about Imperial,” she called a moment later.
He shrugged, confused. “What about it?”
“Did you like it?”
“I think I was too pissed at Jillian to really care,” he said. “I saw some things that were intriguing, but...well, I have to consider my place in the community. Mostly, though, I was pissed at Jillian.” He paused. “It was a beautiful building on the inside. If I remember anything from that night, it was that woman...”
“You liked her?”
He shook his head. “What's not to like about leather and lace? But it was more than that. It was the way she walked across that floor, consumed with such fiery anger. She knew who she was and someone had crossed her. She took steps.” He took a sip of the beer. “The outfit was just the icing on the cake.” He took a quick bite of his dessert, and didn't want to think about that woman. She was an untouchable in a place he didn't want to make a habit. And was tainted by Jillian. He turned down his lip.
“Would you go back?” Emmy asked, the question floating down the hall.
“I don't think I will,” he said. “It was kind of a bad ending to a bad week.”
“Never?”
He paused, and looked at Emmy's dessert. “I can't say never,” he replied. “I don't want to think about it right now. It's probably a very nice place for an interesting distraction.”
“Do you remember what she looked like?” Emmy called.
What is going on here? “Emmy, don't tell me you want to go there.” She didn't answer right away and he could feel himself cringing. He heard a heel click on the wood flooring and then another, then two more. She stopped just out of view. “Please, don't tell me you want to go there,” he said.
“Well, no,” she said. “I was just thinking I could bring a bit of that here.”
She stepped out from behind the wall and Nathaniel dropped his fork loudly on to the plate.
“Fuck.” He gasped.
Emmy was wearing the same black silver-button-up boots, black lace and satin outfit, opera gloves and choker. Her hair was now up, and the only things missing were the whip and the crop.
He stared for a long minute, then rose and walked over to her, where she stood, arms folded, waiting for some sort of response from him. He looked straight into her eyes. “It was you. You were there.”
She nodded once. “It was me.”


And more to come. Nathaniel's and Emmy's story continues in Broken Bonds- coming very soon. 


Buy Links!

~*~

Connect with Katherine Rhodes on the Web!

Website: www.katherinerhodes.com


Follow her on Twitter: @Mistress_KayR


Giveaway! 
I'll give away 2 ecopies of Consensual and 1 signed copy with a...sexy surprise. Readers can enter to win by liking and commenting on my facebook page with a short story about something silly that happened to them – it doesn't have to be bedroom related!

~*~

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

ICate said...

Really awesome book and can't wait for the rest of Ms Rhodes' books! Love the interview too!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I appreciate hearing from you.