Monday, January 20, 2014

Interview with Emily A. Lawrence Discussing The Guardian of My Soul #NewAdult

Today we have New Adult author Emily A. Lawrence with an interview and discussing her latest release from Beau Coup Publishing, The Guardian of My Soul (book #1 Soul's Desire). This Transylvanian author has cool things on her desk and has a great excerpt to share with you. I think you'll be happy with the visit! 

~Mia


~*~

Interview questions for Emily A. Lawrence…

Quick round:
Coffee, tea or…what’s your vice? I prefer hot chocolate.

Favorite Movie: Inception – Leonardo DiCaprio

Favorite Color: Blue

Favorite book/author: There are many authors I like, but my top three favorite ones are Stephenie Meyer, E. L. James, and Suzanne Collins.

How do you feel about bacon?
Bacon? I like it, but when it comes to meat, I prefer chicken.


The REAL questions… 
*Tell us a little about yourself. 
I live in Transylvania with my family, hence my love for vampires and paranormal books. I’m extremely passionate about fiction and have been writing stories, mostly fan fiction, for years now, but only began thinking seriously about publishing approximately a year ago. Having my family's support and encouraged by friends, numerous fan fiction followers, and fellow authors, I pursued my dream of becoming a published author.

For me writing is more than a hobby. I love writing because I can escape into the worlds I create and lose myself in my characters and stories. When I write I’m in a totally different place and I get to control what happens. To me it is a wonderful way to escape everyday life and leave my worries behind.

I find inspiration for my stories everywhere around me. It can be songs, movies, a line in a book, a chat with a friend, a walk in the park with my dog. I think of stories all the time and try to come up with unexpected twists and turns that would surprise readers.

When I’m not writing, I enjoy traveling and experiencing new cultures, new sceneries, food and meeting new people, or simply reading a good book.

What’s under your bed?
The drawers under my bed are stuffed with books I had to read in high school or throughout college. Surprised much?

What comes first, plot or characters?
Characters always come first. After I get an idea about what I want the characters to be like, then I think about the story and how I could bring those two together. So first I try to develop the characters and their backgrounds, then work on the story.

Pantser, plotter, or hybrid? Tell us about your writing process.
I never sit down and plot. I don’t have an outline when I start a new story. I have an idea on how I want it to begin, certain events that should take place, and a vague ending, but I never know what’s going to happen next. I’m never sure what a writing day is going to be like. I get ideas as I write. Sometimes I have several options on how to continue and when that happens, I usually take a breather and detach myself from it for a while, thinking about how the story could develop depending on the path I choose. That said, I am definitely a pantser.

Oddest thing on your desk?
Peacock feathers in a vase. I just love peacocks. I also have a ceramic Mayan calendar. I’ve always been fascinated by these things, and History and Discovery are two of my favorite TV channels.

What’s your most interesting writing quirk?
I usually go back and read the last few paragraphs I wrote the other day to help me get back into the story. Also, at the end of a writing day, I often leave notes in the manuscript on events I want to write the next day. Lately I’ve been carrying around a notebook where I put down ideas when I’m not able to write. Sometimes whole conversations pop up into my head and I need to get them down while they’re fresh in my mind, or else they won’t come out as good as the first time. In addition, when I write I need absolute silence. No music, no TV and no phone to distract me.

What’s your favorite thing about the genre you write in?
I write contemporary romance intended for mature audiences. I am a romantic at heart and I’ve always enjoyed reading a good romantic story. Now I get to write my own. But I’m also interested in paranormal romance. You see, I was born and live in Transylvania. Here we grew up with the legends and myths about supernatural creatures and I’ve always found them intriguing. I am thinking of writing something in this genre too some time in the future.

What is the hardest thing about being an author?
Finding the time to write because I also have a day job, creating interesting stories and characters that people would enjoy reading about, and reaching out to people...getting myself and my stories out there in the hands of as many readers as possible.

What’s the easiest thing about being an author?
I love writing, but there’s nothing easy in this business. Writing the book is just the first step and that takes hours and hours of sitting in front of the computer, trying to be creative and thinking about solutions, dealing with writer’s block, the editing process, and then marketing and promotion, which are probably even harder than writing the book and very time consuming.

Tell us about your latest release!
I have three books out with Secret Cravings Publishing, but for the past year I’ve been working with Sable Hunter, whom I consider to be like a mentor and a great inspiration. I now edit and write exclusively for Beau Coup Publishing and I am more than excited to be a member of Sable’s team.

My latest release is “The Guardian Of My Soul”, a New Adult romance which is the first book in the Soul’s Desire Series. It tells the story of Kristen and her bodyguard, Alec, two people who struggle with one another, as well as with their own fears and insecurities.

Blurb:
Some have said “The Guardian of my Soul” is “The Bodyguard” meets “Taming of the Shrew”, a compelling look at two people who find they have more in common than they ever dreamed.

Kristen Mancuso, daughter of a renowned fashion designer has everything her
heart desires, and yet she’s still unhappy. After her father’s death, her mother’s overprotectiveness has prevented Kristen from choosing her own path in life, and she often feels as if she's a prisoner in her own home. Kristen thought her twenty-first birthday would magically bring her the freedom she craved. She was wrong.

When her mother hires Alec Warner to be her personal bodyguard, Kristen rebels against it, unaware of the true reasons why he’s needed and the very real danger threatening her safety. Having someone shadow her every move is the last thing she wants. Alec is handsome, intimidating and determined to stand between Kristen and anyone who would harm her.

Kristen doesn’t know what to do with Alec. She’s drawn to him, and while he is committed to his job, he refuses to allow her to control him the way she does with other men. Their relationship is volatile and explosive, yet they discover they have more in common than they ever dreamed. Together they face demons from their past and secrets which could tear them apart.

Alec and Kristen fight their attraction for one another, but that’s one battle where losing may very well give them everything their souls desire…

*Warning: intended for mature audiences 18+

Meet the leading characters:




Excerpt:

I could hear the sound of the galloping horse way before I could see it. I knew it was Alec. No matter what I did or said to him, the man had a stubborn habit of tailing me. He was relentless. In spite of my turmoil, I couldn’t help but wonder if he was as relentless in other areas of his life as well. That focused, determined passion would be irresistible in bed. I quickly wiped my tears off my face, feeling both my cheeks were burning.
He stopped at a considerable distance when he found me and just stared at me, apparently deciding on how to proceed. Alec took his time, approaching me at a slow, cautious pace, as he would approach a small, frightened animal which would dash away at the least provocation.
“I really can’t get five minutes alone?” I grouched, looking at him through speculative eyes.
For a moment he appeared disconcerted and I felt a sad satisfaction.
“It is part of my job description,” he murmured quietly, stopping a few feet away.
I shook my head, tired of hearing the same old explanation over and over again. “Is kissing me a part of your job description too?” I demanded.
“You kissed me back,” he retorted in a calmly manner. Alec never gave anything away, none of what he was feeling. It infuriated me.
“It will never happen again. I don’t want you to touch me.” I managed.
“Oh, really? I could make you beg me to touch you,” he said simply. The smug grin he wore, displaying his perfect white teeth, was the epitome of defiance to me. In a matter of seconds he changed from calm and reasonable to imposing and defiant, faster than a chameleon could change the color of its skin. But instead of anger I could feel excitement sparking through my veins like wild fire.
I jumped to my feet and I halfway expected him to step back, but he stood his ground. “Why did you do it? What are you trying to achieve? Is this some kind of game to you?” I drew back my fist as if to strike out at him, but he caught it easily. His hands wrapped around my wrists, holding me securely. “Let go!” I cried.
“Be still,” he commanded. His voice was dark velvet, raspy with magic and sex. I stared into his eyes. I didn’t understand the sensations rioting through me. It was frightening. Alec’s jaw clenched. He made a noise—a growl—and suddenly his mouth crushed down on mine and plundered, taking me completely off guard. The kiss warmed me, his tongue tasting until I was panting, furious at myself for wanting more. I writhed against him trying to escape, but he was too strong and demanding. My struggles resulted in my breasts scrubbing across his hard chest, making my nipples feel swollen and heavy, betraying me. I stilled and he finally allowed me to breathe, but I was trapped in his arms.
Alec was breathing harshly, his eyes clashed with mine, then moved down to kiss my swollen lips one more time. I couldn’t handle it, so I jerked my face away. “I want more,” he groaned, releasing my right wrist. With gentle but firm movements he twisted my hair around his hand until I had no choice but to look at him. There was a heat in his eyes which belied the mildness and candor of his countenance. He had no right to appear so in control when my flesh was tight and achy and I needed...
Damn him! Mr. Confusing has done it again.
“Say you never want it to happen again,” he whispered a few inches away from my face, his eyes daring me.
“I...I never want it to happen again,” I replied in a peremptory whisper, ignoring the pulse of need pounding between my thighs.
“Liar...” He freed me from his grip and returned to his horse. He mounted him and then waited expectantly for me to follow him.
I was not sure why I did it, but I fulfilled his silent wish and got up on my horse, joining him. My mind, my emotions and my heart were in total disarray.
The horses quickened their pace, broke into a trot and then went into a canter side by side.
There were so many unanswered questions swirling inside my brain, but I was afraid to address them to him, afraid of what he might tell me, of what I might discover.
Images of our passionate embrace danced in front of my eyes. I shook my head, but the feeling wouldn’t go away. No matter how much I fought not to allow him to tempt me, I found it impossible to resist him. The more I tried, the more intense the longing grew, startling me. Fear twisted in my gut as I realized I was slowly but surely losing control over my own will. I forbade myself to scream in frustration or show any sign of weakness.
We reached the stables and let John take care of the horses before we started for the house.
“Kristen...” Alec addressed me by my name for the first time, a question and an apology in his tone.
A fine tremor rocked me and a tingle sprang to life in my breasts, stopping me in my tracks. I had never dreamed the sound of one man’s voice speaking my name could invoke such longing within me.
His hand gently locked around my arm and spun me around to face him. “Look...I’m sorry if I upset you today. I really am. I couldn’t—”
“Don’t. Alec...please don’t tease me. What happened today was wrong. I never should have kissed you. We don’t know each other...at all. You don’t even respect me or what I say to you. I don’t know what Mother would say. A bodyguard daring to kiss her daughter...” I blinked, trying to picture her reaction.
“I’m not afraid of her or anybody else,” he said dryly.
“Perhaps you should be.”
“I’m not. I’m my own man. But it looks like you’re afraid of her. You wouldn’t even breathe if she told you not to.”
“That’s not true.” I frowned.
“Then why do you care so much about what she may have to say in regard to us?”
“There is no ‘us’, Alec! Whatever this is, it never happened. For your sake and mine, just drop it before it ends badly.”
“Badly...as in you falling in love with the son of a mere bodyguard?”
I trembled. “I’ll never fall in love. Not with you, nor with any other man. So forget it!”
“Never say never, sweetheart.” He took one last long look at me before strolling away. I felt like I’d been run over by a steamroller.

Buy links for The Guardian of My Soul:

Kindle:

Paperback:
Barnes & Noble: http://bit.ly/J4Gqhs

~*~

 Connect with Emily A. Lawrence on the Web!



~*~

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I appreciate hearing from you.