Thursday, December 26, 2013

Interviewing Myself, My Love of Bacon, And Endgame #eroticromance

Happy day after Christmas! I hope you all had a peaceful day filled with good things. You can't always get what you want, but I hope you all got what you needed spiritually and gift-wise. I got candy and time with the family so my day was good. 

For giggles I decided to fill out my own interview, which sounds really weird in some ways but hey, it's a way to get to know me if you don't, and if you already know me, well...you know I'm lacking a few pieces of the puzzle. 

So, here's me, interviewing...me. By Mia Downing. 

Coffee, tea or…what’s your vice? 
All of it. I love coffee in all versions. I love tea and choose that when I'm sick because it's perfect comfort drink. I also am a Diet Coke fan.

Favorite Movie: Pretty Woman. 

Favorite Color: Blue. I find earth tones soothing, though.

Favorite book/author: Oh, gee. I have a few from many genres. I adore Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, anything Julia Quinn, Bertrice Small, Tymber Dalton's Reluctant Dom. Watership Down is a huge favorite, and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH is why I started writing. Lots of variety. 

How do you feel about bacon?

Oh, bacon... How do I love thee... Let me use pictures to show you.
Bacon is art...
Bacon is naughty!

Bacon can be religious...
Bacon can be useful...
Bacon can earn a living! 
Bacon is logical. 

Bacon, I love you.

~*~

So those of you that don't know, I send guests an interview sheet and this is part of the questionnaire. I usually delete it out, but now you can see what people have to put up with when they come here to visit. 

The REAL questions… (you don’t have to answer all of them but I do want to know more about you AND what’s under your bed. I’m growing dust elephants for profit. I don’t want to be out-marketed.)

*Tell us a little about yourself. (Please answer this one even if you think it’s boring. Make something up, tell us about your cherry stem tying skill… Tell us about your knitting or your llama…whatever works.)

I guess I have to answer my own question. I'd love to say I'm a lingerie model or a spy, but I'm really boring. I have a small farm in New England with a variety of animals that all eat and poop, and you can't not feed them because that's mean. I have two teen kids and a husband to help take care of it all. I'm the woman who is stopped all the time because I look like Aunt Gladys's neighbor's daughter or some weird thing. I do knit. I don't like llamas after spending weekends camping in this weird petting zoo in Canada when I was a kid. They'd close the gates and set the llamas, deer and goats free to roam around your camper. It sounds fun, but it was really scary when I was five. I don't like emus, either. 

What’s under your bed?
HUGE dust elephants. Often a random cat, old socks, my scunchies seem to hide there, luggage and some knitting supplies. 

What comes first, plot or characters?
Characters. I'll catch a glimpse of a scene and ask myself how this character got to that place. Who, what, when and why are my friends in this instance. 

Pantser, plotter, or hybrid? Tell us about your writing process.
I am a pantser in that the story develops when it develops. I don't do character arcs or notebooks or even pictures. I will start with whatever scene I see and then from there the story can go anywhere. I often write the beginning, then the ending, and then fill in the middle. I don't write linear (meaning scenes in order) and it's a holy hell editing mess. I can't have a critique partner because of this, but I do have 2 friends I trust to see the mess when I'm stuck. The only good thing about my process is no one has yet complained about a saggy middle. 

Oddest thing on your desk?
A six shooter rubber band gun. A woman has to defend herself against sneak attacks.

What’s your most interesting writing quirk?
 I have to have music for every book and if I don't have the right song, I can't write. Oddly I know if it's right or not because if it's rigth I can't hear it at all. I put it on loop and write until I hear it, then it's time to change. The song reminds me of a situation or character in some aspect. 

What’s your favorite thing about the genre you write in?
I love the happily-ever-after. You can drag their souls through the mud and know at the end everything will be okay. I love writing sex that drives the plot or shows character growth. 

What is the hardest thing about being an author?
 Promotion. Marketing. Bad reviews. Believing in my writing and my thought process. 

What’s the easiest thing about being an author?
The commute, though that thirty seconds down the stairs can be full of detours and pit falls, and then opening the files and avoiding Facebook is another adventure.

I also love the good reviews and hearing from friends and readers. Their emails and messages usually show up just when I need them most. So thank you, guys. 


Tell us about your latest release! 
My last release was Spy Games: Endgame, book 3 in the series. I absolutely love this series and I had such a great time working on it. If you haven't read any of them, it's best to start with book one, Spy Games: Trained for Seduction and work your way through them. 

Endgame was fun because it was a different sort of heroine and hero. I'd written two books of alpha males and incredibly strong yet submissive women. Now, don't fret. Both Aaron and Charlotte learn to find that trait within themselves, but they're probably the most interesting in their sexual journey. I love that Charlotte is as hard as nails outside and yet she's so damaged and conflicted you can't help but cheer when Aaron melts through her icy exterior with his charm and wit.  

Blurb for Endgame...
Sexy spy Charlotte Smith doesn't go by the code name Dragon
Queen because she's sweet and cuddly. She's cold, hard, and mean and has been training for the past five years to take down the men who destroyed her soul and left her burning for revenge. But when she meets her next assignment at a wedding, her body protests there's much more to life than kicking asses and taking names. Actor Aaron James is witty, hot as hell, and he smells divine. But women with suicidal endgames don't indulge in casual sex, and they definitely don't fall in love.

Since meeting Charlotte at his brother's wedding, Aaron's life has been nothing but trouble. He's plagued by memories of the kiss he stole from her, and he senses underneath her aloof nature and frosty glare is a woman with passion and fire. When Charlotte is assigned as his bodyguard after a botched kidnapping attempt, he's psyched. What better way to get in her panties than have her pretend she's his girlfriend? Until Aaron realizes too late he wants more than in her panties... he want's Charlotte's heart.

Contains: Explicit language, really hot sex, anal sex, toys, light bondage, very light BDSM, an actor wannabe spy and his kick-ass spy bodyguard.


Available in E-book and print

~*~

Thanks for stopping by! 


4 comments:

DebbieW said...

Loved getting a glimpse into your world. Thanks Mia.
The series sounds great!
debbieworkman818@yahoo.com

Tracey Steinbach said...

Great interview!

Unknown said...

That was a great interview. I love you books. You're pretty awesome, too. ;)

Unknown said...

You sure are serious about your bacon! I love your books (and YOU)!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I appreciate hearing from you.