Friday, November 15, 2013

Gemma Juliana Chats Magical Donkeys, The Sheikh's Crowning and Autumn Masquerade

Today we have the unique and talented Gemma Juliana in the hot seat. Her short story Shooting Star Holiday Express in A Holiday Anthology Volume 1 Exquisite Quills is free on Smashwords! The link is below. Enjoy! 

~Mia. 

~*~

Gemma Juliana's Interview questions…

Quick round:
Coffee, tea or…what’s your vice?  
All of the above! I love coffees and teas, the more exotic the better. I’m currently enjoying pumpkin spice coffee and pomegranate tea…

Favorite Movie: 
An old Anna Karenina movie I saw about three decades ago. I also enjoyed the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Lord of the Ring series and the Lightning Thief.

Favorite Color: 
Rainbow and Gold (never can pick just one)

Favorite book/author: 
Way too many to choose.

How do you feel about bacon? 
Used to devour it… still love the smell so at this stage I don’t eat it often but love the aromatherapy still! Wish it came in a bottle!



The REAL questions… 
Tell us a little about yourself. 
picture from
www.magicaldonkey.blogspot.com
I collect rocks, crystals, gemstones, and I have a travel bug. I have a passion for donkeys—they are magical.

I'd love to know why donkeys are magical! My neighbors have three, I can go rub one for good luck. So, what comes first, plot or characters? 
Plot usually. Something sparks an idea and then later the people populate the event.

Pantser, plotter, or hybrid? Tell us about your writing process. 
A natural pantser who can’t stand being boxed in by anything. I have learned the advantages of plotting, though, and struggle to use it more these days.

Oddest thing on your desk?
I don’t have a desk, so … nothing? Actually I write on our dining room table usually and right now I’m looking at a green toad on a lily pad with his eyes closed and hands clasped giving thanks for the dragonfly on his plate he is about to devour. Very cute! Definitely stimulates my muse.

What’s your most interesting writing quirk? 
I’m a quirky writer. Sorry, couldn’t resist! I write best in my head as I lie in bed in the middle of the night unable to sleep.

What’s under your bed? 
Dust. Tiles. Maybe monsters.

What’s your favorite thing about the genre you write in?
When I’m writing in one genre, I want to be writing in another genre. Sort of like thinking the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. My next undertaking will be cozy mysteries.

What is the hardest thing about being an author? 
Always wondering if I’m wasting too much time on promo or not doing enough. I have no idea how to find that balance. Equally as hard is staying on schedule and being disciplined. Sometimes it feels selfish to write instead of doing X,Y and Z. Reminding myself it is at least as important, if not more so.

What’s the easiest thing about being an author?
Handing out my business card that says ‘Gemma Juliana – Author’ as I network a room filled with readers and other authors. Fun!

What do you wish someone had asked you for an interview question? What’s my zodiac sign? (I’m an astrologer, too…) Capricorn with a Leo Moon.

Tell us about your latest release! 

There are several…
In Autumn Masquerade, Anna must risk baring her soul and revealing she is psychic to her boss, Richard. He’s a widower who still carries a lot of guilt. Anna learned at a young age that revealing her gift cost her love and respect. Can she make it through the Masquerade Ball without him discovering she is the heavily-disguised psychic with a message from his deceased wife? 



Then there’s The Sheikh’s Crowning, the second story in my Sheikh’s of the Golden Triangle series. This is the story of Yasmine and Rick. Can a desert princess be happy with an American commoner? She lost her husband to a deadly assassination, and Rick’s in a similar line of business. Can she let go of her fears and love again?



And finally, there’s my short story Shooting Star Holiday Express in A Holiday Anthology Volume 1 Exquisite Quills (Smashwords only). Join Bella on a train ride away from despair and loneliness toward a Christmas that offers a new beginning when her old beau Nick happens to be on the same train…



Buy Gemma Juliana's stories here! 







~*~

GEMMA JULIANA is a multi-published author who lives in an enchanted cottage in north Texas with her handsome hero, teen son and a comical dog. She loves making new friends and hearing from readers. Exotic coffee and chocolate fuel her creativity.


Visit Gemma’s website http://www.gemmajuliana.com to email her, see her stories, buy books on all platforms, check for blog hops, and other fun stuff!


Connect with Gemma


~*~

Buy Gemma’s Books on…



12 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for having me today, Mia! Your questions were fun to answer.

Regarding my comment about magical donkeys, I love the image you added! I spent time in Ireland with a very magical woman who is the author of the Irish Fairy Cards, and she says donkeys have a close bond with Irish fairies. I visited a fine donkey sanctuary in the south of Ireland where neglected and abandoned donkeys are cared for, and sometimes find new homes. You can see these creatures here: http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.ie/

Mary Marvella said...

Gemma, you sound like a fun person! Your books sound like keepers. Have a good weekend.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by, Mary! I'm not always funny, but Mia triggered my funny bone.

Rose Anderson said...

Writing does feel selfish sometimes. But hey, someone has to tell the stories. :) Enjoyed your interview Gemma. Best luck on your newest.

Sandy said...

I often feel like I need to be giving time to others instead of writing, Gemma. I love the cover for your short story. I hadn't seen it before, and it's beautiful. It made me think of Lara in the movie, Dr. Zhaviago.

Unknown said...

Hi Rose, Writing shouldn't feel selfish. I think it's because we always have something else we could or should also be doing and for some reason writing feels like an indulgence instead of a priority. Maybe we feel too good when we write!

Unknown said...

Sandy, you and me both. It's hard to say, "I'll do that later" instead of jumping right up and getting to it. The short story cover I can take no credit for, but I agree. I just love it! Thanks for stopping by.

Unknown said...

Coffee, chocolate, and magical donkeys? I'm heading over to smashwords to download your book, now! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, Kim~nothing like a good yarn! You made my day!

Melissa Keir said...

Congrats on your holiday release. I love the interview. I also want to know why donkeys are magical!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by, Melissa! Donkeys and fairies get along very well... the magic is when the two of them collaborate.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gemma, I loved what you said about the hard part of being an author, and hte constant juggling. I agree sometimes it feels self-indulgent just to write - I have to remember that it's my wiritng that will produce the books, and not the marketing! Read your story in the Holiday Anthology and loved it :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I appreciate hearing from you.